Monday, June 4, 2012

The bitter taste of angst

My best friend and I had a fight today.  I may have said a few things she will regret.  When I was in high school, I longed for the day when I would be free of the cloak and dagger ever-present in interactions with my fellows.  Oh, college, I thought, stars in my eyes and whimsy in my voice, surely that will be a freedom from petty bullshit and shrill, backstabbing shrieks.

No, unfortunately, people continue to be people, even in college.  Imagine my shock.

I suppose I should abbreviate this rant and get back to my other one.  A pity.

Have you ever met someone who takes something from you, without asking, without checking to see if maybe you needed it, and then doesn't tell you, and you spend the  entire day looking for it, and she says, "Oh, sorry,  I didn't think you would need it."

She keeps doing things like this.  I really should just stop being her friend, because sometimes it feels less like a friendship and more like being someone's cleverly composed series of alibis.  She only cares if I'm useful to her.

And somehow, she's still my best friend.  I am honestly flabbergasted by how utterly taken in with her I am.  I guess it's her charisma.  Parasite or not, she's oozing with it.

Well, at any rate, she may not be my friend anymore.  I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment